We got an older ’79 mobile home trailer here in Wisconsin and the hot/cold temp controls have become completely stripped so now we’re forced to run a bath every night and it’s very time consuming and cumbersome. All I really need to know is, what parts do I need to buy from like a hardware store? I’ve haven’t bought anything yet but going to Ace Hardware and Walmart I’ve seen a million options and I frankly have no clue. Thanks in advance!
Well, I only mean the 2 dials in the front. Not exactly sure what to even call them heh.
What you’re looking for is a new cartridge. They are typically fairly easy to replace IF you can find replacements.
1. Turn off the water at the main supply.
2. Remove the handles, may have a small cover in the center of the handle hiding the screws.
3. There should be some sort of retaining fastener. (could be a nut, or a screw, or a rim around the cartridge that unscrews. The replacement should have instructions or ask when you buy it)
4. Pull out the cartridge and install the new one.
5. Put it back together in reverse.
The problem you’re going to run into though, is you’ll be very lucky to find parts. Even the new manufactured homes rarely use standard parts, most are special "trailer parts". And most supply houses don’t carry them. Look for a supplier that specializes in trailers for you best bet. Given the age it will make it even harder to track down. If you can find a brand/model you may be able to google it.
If all else fails, replace the whole faucet. Watch out though, most mobile homes, and especially of that vintage had oddball center spacing on the stems and standard faucets won’t always work.